Panopto is a Blackboard plug-in – a piece of software that has been added into Blackboard to give additional functionality.
When you are working on Blackboard you can see the Aston Replay (Panopto) page in the left-hand menu and the video embed or mashup tool – these are a part of the Panopto plug-in Blackboard.
Panopto videos are stored on the Panopto site, not on Blackboard.
- When you watch the thumbnail of an embedded video in Blackboard, the video is streamed in from Panopto.
- When you click on a video to watch or edit it, you are moved from Blackboard to the Panopto site.
Panopto videos are stored on the Panopto site and so if Panopto experiences disruption but Blackboard does not, your and your student’s actions will be limited.
If the student attempts to watch a Panopto video on Blackboard via the Aston Replay plug in, they are likely to to see an error message as the video is not available to be streamed.
Download a Panopto video as a backup
You can download a Panopto video and store it on your computer or on Blackboard as a back up. If, for example, you are planning a timed submission whereby students have to watch a video within a certain timeframe, you may want to download the video in advance to have it ready to avoid potential disruption to your exam.
If Panopto is unavailable you can continue to record videos provided you have installed Panopto onto your machine. Panopto will save your videos onto your computer and you can upload it to Panopto (and therefore your module) once the disruption is over.
Panopto videos are stored on the Panopto site and you access these assignments via the Aston Replay plugin on Blackboard. So if Panopto is working but Blackboard is not, neither you or your students will be able to get to the Aston Replay page in Blackboard to access your videos.
But you can bypass Blackboard and log into Panopto directly.
Panopto login details
Your Panpto login details are the same as your Blackboard log in.
To find your module videos on the Panopto site:
- Click Browse in the left-hand menu.
- Type your module code into the text box and press Enter.
- Choose your module from the list – pay attention to the year, it is easy to choose the wrong one by mistake.
- You will now see a list of all the Panopto videos in the module.
- Published: 2 months ago
- Updated: 1 month ago